Sunday 8 May 2011

Evaluation - What have you learnt from your audience feedback?

08/05/11

In terms of audience feedback, I have received feedback in the form of strengths and weaknesses from a group of around ten friends of the same age as my target audience of teenagers. I asked an equal number of girls and boys to identify what they saw as strengths and weaknesses of my production work. Ideally, I would have asked a larger amount of people, but was limited in terms of time.
My audience feedback has shown me what I could have done to further improve my products, and also what my target audience found to be the good points and the bad points of my production work.

Website – Strengths

The strengths attributed to my website were varied; many of the people that I asked commented on my use of the video clip which I included, and several identified the forum and games sign in pages as useful in terms of including interactive content.
Girls tended to be more attracted to the colour scheme than boys, which was as I expected. In reflection, it would probably have been better to use a more neutral colour scheme, and less feminine colours such as purple and pink, in order to better attract a wider range of teenagers.
Most of the people asked identified my logo as one of the strengths of the website, as many thought that it stood out strongly. Three people commented on the aptness of the filmstrip feature of the logo for a film channel, and I feel this worked well.

Website – Weaknesses



The weaknesses identified were also varied. Some of the boys viewed the choice of colours as a weakness, as they were, in the words of one ‘a bit girly.’ As I’ve previously mentioned, in retrospect, it may have been more ideal to either alter the colour scheme or target the website more specifically at an audience of teenage girls.
A couple of people suggested that I should have used a video clip on the homepage of the site, or clearly provided a link to video clips. This shows the importance of the convention of video clips to teenagers, and I think that this is a good suggestion in terms of further attracting an audience. In terms of the ‘What’s on’ page (see screenshot above,) opinion was split over whether I had provided too much information, or too little. Some people felt that I should only have provided highlights on this page, and a few felt that I should have provided in-depth listings for more than one day. Despite this, I feel I probably did well in providing a balance between the two, with highlights for the week and in-depth listings for the day.

Ancillary Texts – Strengths

The strengths of my improved ancillary texts were identified clearly by many of the people which I asked.
The use of the light purple background of my newspaper advertisement was surprisingly seen as appropriate by several of the boys as well as the girls. This was seen as being due to the contrast between the background colours, and the other colours which I used, such as the darker colours in the images.
In terms of the newspaper advertisement, the comments also generally complemented the clear presentation of the information, such as the TV channel number, launch date etc. This shows the importance of clarity when using the convention of including details related to the product/service provided.
It was commented on that the variety of colour used in my magazine double-page spread made it seem very vibrant, although a few people didn’t feel that this was the case. The teenagers asked were also complimentary of the use of text on the page. It was mentioned that although there was a large use of text, the page was not unduly focused on the text itself. This possibly shows that teenagers prefer a scaling back of text, rather than the full amount suggested normally when using this convention.

Ancillary Texts – Weaknesses

One of the weaknesses of the ancillary texts was suggested as the layout of the magazine double-page spread. A few people thought that there was too much on the pages, and that it would have benefitted from being more simplistic. I can see where this viewpoint is coming from, and maybe the layout could perhaps have been a little more simplistic in order to be more focussed.
Another point made about this ancillary task was that the colour of the box surrounding the channel details etc. was again a little feminine for some of the boys. Again, it probably would have been better to more clearly aim the TV channel at teenage girls, or change the colours so that they were less feminine.
The main criticism established by those people that I asked regarding the newspaper advertisement was the placement of the logo; whilst everyone agreed that the logo was a necessary part of this product, some felt that the placement looked a little awkward. Others disagreed, but this possibly could have been rectified by moving the logo to a bottom corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment