Thursday 30 September 2010

Codes and Conventions of Newspaper Advertisements


30/09/10

As part of my coursework, I will have to produce a newspaper advertisement for my TV channel. As research, I have looked into factors which could be considered as some of the codes and conventions of newspaper advertising.
Most print advertising will make use of a brand name or logo. Logos are often instantly recognisable as being associated with a particular brand, e.g. the coca-cola logo or the McDonalds 'M.' This ensures that people are aware of the brand and clear as to what they are advertising.
Slogans are also common amongst advertising, including print advertising, these are primarily short and memorable phrases which allow the advertiser's message to sink in. Some examples of slogans include 'Beanz meanz Heinz' and 'Have a break, Have a Kit Kat.'
A fairly common convention found amongst these advertisements is that some factual information about the product/service will be provided, this can be a range of details. In the case of a TV channel, it would probably be details of some shows being aired on the channel, as well as the number of the TV channel on freeview, sky, or whatever service was being used.
Most advertisements also use persuasive techniques such as persuasive language, celebrity endorsement, desirable images, and striking colours.
For my TV channel, I will probably either do a music channel or a teen film channel; I haven't yet developed a logo, but will do so when I have decided which of these ideas I would like to use. I am not sure whether in my newspaper advertisement I would want to use a slogan, but have thought of a couple of slogans that I could use for each option. For example, if I did a music channel I could use the slogan, 'where music lives,' or 'massive music,' and if I did a film channel I could use the slogan, 'fantastic films in one place' or 'all your favourite films.'

1 comment:

  1. An excellent description of the generic codes and conventions used in advertising. Well done.
    Has this made you think about the type of advertisement you will create for your project? Do you have a brand in mind for your product? Make a list of snappy slogans that might fit in with what you'll be offering your target audience.

    ReplyDelete