Tuesday 12 October 2010

Research - Fonts and Colours

12/10/10

I have been researching the fonts and colours recommended for websites. The website 'newbiewebsitedesign.com' suggests that it is best to use Serif fonts such as Times New Roman or Georgia or Sans-serif fonts such as Verdana or Trebuchet MS; these fonts and some of the others which are recommended on the website are displayed by the image on the right from the 'newbiewebsitedesign.com' website. It explains that the Serif fonts are more suited to print, whereas the Sans-serif fonts are the most legible for use on websites. I am thinking about using the Verdana font for my website as I like the style and it is very legible. Some people may see these fonts as boring, but I think that they work well while maintaining a good level of legibility.
'newbiewebsitedesign.com' also discusses the best text/background colour combinations to use in websites in order to enhance the usability and improve the overall design of the website. It advises that a website should not have white or light text on a black or dark background. It also warns against the use of 2 colours with little contrast between them, such as two tones of blue, as the text is often difficult to read against a background of a similar colour. Another combination which this website advises against is black text on a yellow background as this can cause eye-strain, there is an effective example of black text on a yellow background on the website which illustrates this point.
This will affect the way that I design my own website as it suggests a limit in the combinations of colours that I can use in terms of font and background colour. For example, I initially was considering using two tones of purple or green in my website, but after seeing the affect of the two tones of blue on this website, I don't think that using two colours with that little contrast will be beneficial to the overall design of my own website.
I think that it may be a good idea to use the same or complimentary colours for the font/background to the logo of my website in order to increase the effect of the branding and brand recognition in the website. However I will definitely have to take into consideration the effect that these colours will have.


This screenshot shows the website 'newbiewebsitedesign.com' which has been useful for a lot of my research.








This screenshot gives examples of colour combinations of background and text which don't work well.

1 comment:

  1. This is good research into fonts and colours Cerys. Explain in a little more detail how this will affect the design of your own website and print design. How will font and colour choices affect branding for your product? Do you think the fonts suggested are boring? Or do they work well? What fonts have you come across in your research so far? Provide examples - screenshots from other sites and images made in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete