Saturday 6 November 2010

TV listings magazine analysis

06/11/10

The third listings magazine which I have looked at is the Radio Times. The Radio Times has a highlights page for each day, similar to the 'Film Choice' page but containing 'choices' of all programmes not just films.
The 'Saturday Choices' double-page spread is less colourful than the pages in the other listings magazines that I have looked at, it is also not as rigidly structured, containing a mix of boxes and columns used in an apparently non-regulated way.There are few pictures, but those that are there are quite prominent, possibly because of their size and the contrast to the white background of the page. I don't really like the white background as I think that there is not enough colour on the page to compensate for it, although the red topand side banners do contrast well.
Like the other magazines, the 'choices' are accompanied by a synopsis and their titles are in bold. The bold titles seem to be common in these listings magazines and are effective in calling attention to what the programme is, and making programmes that people may be interested in more easily locatable.
I like the way that the picture accompanying the synopsis for 'Merlin' stands out from the box as I think it draws more attention to the section and might consider doing something similar on my own double-page spread.

1 comment: